Please check back on this page regularly. We’ll keep updating it to include all the questions we receive from the community.
Please do check the latest update from the concerned authorities in relation to health, safety and travel in case it changed while we were working on updating this page.
1. What are the major changes in the health and safety protocols for the 2021/22 academic year?
Provided they comply with health and safety protocols, the following activities may also resume:
- Swimming and sports
- Study trips
- After-hours extra-curricular activities
- Special events such as assemblies, festivals and graduation celebrations
We continue to live in uncertain times, and the relaxation in restrictions is a privilege. To continue to enjoy these freedoms throughout the academic year, it is crucial that students and staff fully comply with the protocols at all times.
1. Will university programmes be delivered by distance or face-to-face learning?
Universities may offer either distance or face-to-face learning, or a combination of both. The mode of delivery should be determined by the nature and the requirements of each programme.
2. Can students with medical conditions continue with distance learning?
Distance learning must be offered to students with medical conditions, provided they have the appropriate medical certificate from Dubai Health Authority.
1. Does the 1.5-metre physical distancing still apply at universities?
From this academic year, one-metre distancing is recommended. Universities and other Higher Education Institutes (HEIs) must take appropriate precautions to ensure that students and staff stay physically distanced where possible.
2. Are face masks compulsory in the new academic year?
Yes. Students, staff and visitors to university campuses must continue to wear face masks.
Sports and extra curricular activities
1. Can swimming and sports activities take place?
Yes, swimming and sports can go ahead. Changing rooms and sports areas will be sanitised after each group of students. All health and safety protocols must be followed according to Dubai Health Authority
and Dubai Sports Council guidelines.
Gatherings & events
1. What kinds of events can resume at universities?
Assemblies, performances, rehearsals and events, such as graduations ceremonies, can take place as long as they follow Dubai Health Authority
2. Can universities organise events in external venues?
Yes, universities can organise events in external venues. All relevant health and safety protocols must be followed.
1. Will buses run at full capacity?
Yes, buses may run at fully capacity, provided they comply with health and safety protocols around sanitisation and ventilation, among others.
2. How will students be kept safe at universities?
Universities will still follow thorough Dubai Government health and safety protocols. Similar to last academic year, these will include guidance on sanitisation, teaching and learning materials, and external visitors to the campus. The full protocols are available here
1. Is it compulsory for higher education staff and students older than 16 to have a Covid-19 vaccine?
Vaccination is not compulsory. Eligible staff who do not wish to have the vaccine must submit a negative PCR test each week. Students are not obliged to submit negative PCR tests.